Reduce Surprise Style Rotation to 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnKnight

Best answers
IGN
CryosLight
Hi, I am suggesting to reduce the Surprise Style Rotations to 2 weeks instead of 3 weeks. I was unable to search if someone else have suggested it. I don't actually gamble on SSB but I still do pay close attention to what's on rotation and see if there's something I want, I prefer to buy it from someone that obtained it. After a few months of paying close attention to rotations, I decided to write this suggestion.

Reasons

1. Demand has grown. Looking at the Surprise Style Rotations post, it has gone to 10 pages already. I have noticed from the day the post was created to around November, there was only about 3 pages. Now it has grown to 10 pages. Unless there was something that changed with how SSB worked, I would assume demand has grown. This reason is why I feel 3 weeks is too long for a rotation and 2 weeks would give more opportunity to have suggested NX listed without actually increasing the amount of suggested NX chosen. Which then brings me to point 2.
  2. More chance of variety. With new NX being added whenever the server updates to a new version (v160 will have a lot of new options), more options exists and I feel that as the amount of NX options grows, it falls back to point 1 where players can now list even more NX and that reduces the chance of a suggested NX being added into the rotation. Reducing it to 2 weeks will give the feeling of waiting less longer.
  3. Consistent with other rotations. I can see an argument where if let's say SSB is reduced to 2 weeks, after a year or so, there could be a suggestion to reduce to 1 week or less which I can see it becoming an apparent problem. 2 weeks is reasonable in my opinion because then it would be consistent with existing rotations like Damage Skins.
  4. Pet Rotation. The other rotation that exists is pets and I am going to side-track and suggest the pet rotation to be reduced to 2 weeks to be consistent. I see pets having the same issue as reason 2 where there are a lot of pet options but waiting 3 weeks is incredibly long. Assuming there's 53 weeks in a year, currently it's about 17 pet set choices a year. Reducing it to 2 weeks brings it up to 26 set choices a year. This isn't even counting potential duplicate pets. I do understand that because some pets gives stats and alternative options exist, it might be worse to reduce it to 2 weeks. I also do not know actually how many pet sets are there but my perspective when I first saw it is that if I really really really wanted the pink/blue/red dragon set, I would have to wait every 3 weeks and in that case, it could take a year to not see it.

5. I want more NX. This one is obvious.. Who doesn't want more? #Cosmetics!

I also acknowledge that SSBs isn't exactly the same as Damage Skins when it comes to rotation as time is taken into checking the suggested NX for the next rotation. This would increase the frequency of time spent rotating NX where that time could be better off spent elsewhere. This would also make NX a little more scarce since people that gamble on SSB will now have 1 week less to save up NX for next rotation. <Insert butterfly effect and NX prices goes up or even demand on SSB grows>
Even if demand grows because waiting less longer seems worth it.
While I do hope that this would be considered for reasons I listed, I do understand the complications.

Grace

Best answers
Nice points, Ann. Unless Babe clarifies further regarding 3-week rotations, I don't see there being any reasons not to change to the proposed 2-week rotations

Last edited:

Worra

Best answers
I always thought three weeks was a sweet spot in terms of duration. I am also wondering if decreasing the duration to two weeks creates more work for the GMs behind SSBs. Considering we didn't have SSBs before, personally I am thankful and satisfied with the current setup.

Last edited:

Babe

Game Master
Staff member
Best answers
IGN
Babe
Currently it is not in my best interest to do SSBs every 2 weeks, as work and personal life do play a role when it comes down to it.
As @Worra said, 3 weeks is sort of like a sweet spot. It allows myself (and the other staff members involved) some downtime to focus on other areas of the server. For transparency, Heisenberg rotates the pets whenever SSBs are due to rotate.

• Demand has grown. Looking at the Surprise Style Rotations post, it has gone to 10 pages already. I have noticed from the day the post was created to around November, there was only about 3 pages. Now it has grown to 10 pages. Unless there was something that changed with how SSB worked, I would assume demand has grown. This reason is why I feel 3 weeks is too long for a rotation and 2 weeks would give more opportunity to have suggested NX listed without actually increasing the amount of suggested NX chosen. Which then brings me to point 2.
To address your post, currently the way I prefer to do the SSB rotations, I've asked that users post instead of edit their suggestions on the thread. Thus allowing me to be able to filter out the old and the newer suggestions, I also feel as though it makes it look more lively. (10 pages caught your eye 😉)
  • More chance of variety. With new NX being added whenever the server updates to a new version (v160 will have a lot of new options), more options exists and I feel that as the amount of NX options grows, it falls back to point 1 where players can now list even more NX and that reduces the chance of a suggested NX being added into the rotation. Reducing it to 2 weeks will give the feeling of waiting less longer.
Technically speaking, v153 had more NX items added, however the timing of SSBs coming out and the update releasing didn't really line up. So the items gathered for the current pool of items is from the previous version and not v153. Next rotation however will include items from v153.
  • Consistent with other rotations. I can see an argument where if let's say SSB is reduced to 2 weeks, after a year or so, there could be a suggestion to reduce to 1 week or less which I can see it becoming an apparent problem. 2 weeks is reasonable in my opinion because then it would be consistent with existing rotations like Damage Skins.
The difference between SSBs rotation and Damage Skins is the fact that SSBs are randomly drawn manually and compiled together from suggestions users post. Damage Skins are automatically rotated on a timer of 2 weeks, as there are no user suggestions involved.
  • Pet Rotation. The other rotation that exists is pets and I am going to side-track and suggest the pet rotation to be reduced to 2 weeks to be consistent. I see pets having the same issue as reason 2 where there are a lot of pet options but waiting 3 weeks is incredibly long. Assuming there's 53 weeks in a year, currently it's about 17 pet set choices a year. Reducing it to 2 weeks brings it up to 26 set choices a year. This isn't even counting potential duplicate pets. I do understand that because some pets gives stats and alternative options exist, it might be worse to reduce it to 2 weeks. I also do not know actually how many pet sets are there but my perspective when I first saw it is that if I really really really wanted the pink/blue/red dragon set, I would have to wait every 3 weeks and in that case, it could take a year to not see it.
For longevity sake, the quicker rotations are pushed out the less time there is for people to get the items they want. Which also ties into the fact that with less time in each rotation, it comes with repeating options time and time again. Patience is a virtue, and eventually players will gain the items they long for, whether it be through rotations or GM events.

Denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread