Research Recruitment—Compensation Possible

Slumber

Best answers
Research Recruitment—Compensation Possible

A flyer will act as the Too Long Didn’t Read Version of this post:
pardon the pixelation. I'm a social scientist not an artist.
1586458487306.png
Recruitment survey link: https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bgcRE8YZckdiBgN
Contact via Discord: NBG_Slumber#2062

Hi, fellow Croosaders.

Some of you might know that outside the game I am a media scholar and digital ethnographer of internet and gaming cultures. Currently, I am a PhD Candidate at the University of Minnesota finishing their dissertation on influencer cultures within the Pokemon franchise. My research on influencers, microcelebrities, and content creators, particularly within the Pokémon franchise, has been supported by MIT, University of Minnesota, Harvard University, and the University of Turku (Finland). I was a predoctoral fellow at MIT and a fellow at Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University for 2018-2019 academic year. I am currently a research affiliate at MIT and an affiliate at Harvard University for the 2019-2020 academic year.

Briefing on the research:
You are invited to be in a research study of MapleStory private servers and their effects on community formation and economies related to the game. Since its release in 2003 in South Korea, MapleStory has spread across the globe and has had a lasting impact. Many of us no longer play MapleStory distributed by Nexon, Inc., but still play on private servers. This research starts by asking: what is the emotional and communal connection to playing and re-living a game that is nearly two decades old?
The data via grounded theory will illuminate the rest.

Recruitment Stage (we are here):
If you are interested in being part of this research, please fill out this survey: https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bgcRE8YZckdiBgN

The survey is relatively simple and will take no longer than 5-7 minutes.

-If you have friends who play MapleStory as well, feel free to pass them aforesaid link to the recruitment survey.

*The survey will ask you to provide a Discord or e-mail address, so you may be contacted in the future.

*The survey is mobile compatible for iOS and Android.
Recruitment will remain open until June 9, 2020.

Tasks:
If selected, you will be given a consent form. Afterwards, you will be asked to take part in one of the following: 1) virtual focus group, 2) interview, 3) virtual focus group and interview. If you are selected for task 1, 2, or 3, your total time in participating in aforesaid will not exceed 2 hours.

**In extremely rare cases, word document interviews will be accepted. This is an extremely rare exception and will be made available to less than 1% of participants.

Potential Compensation:
I have secured a small amount of funds for this project in which 5 to 10 percent of participants will receive a 50 dollar ebay or AMEX gift card (this has been approved by the admins and will not be considered RMT).

COVID19:
As a digital ethnographer, my research will not violate any CDC or WHO recommendations of social distancing.

Mandatory Reporter:
I am a mandatory reporter. If you tell me something during a focus group or interview in a non-joking matter that involves the immediate harm of another player or yourself, I will be compelled by law to report it and potentially break your anonymity. This means you will no longer be eligible to be part of this research.

IRB/Ethics:
This research has been IRB Approved by the University of Minnesota. Oversight is provided by an advisor from MIT as well. All data for the research will be destroyed after publication and your names or IGNs will never be used. No location, personal information, or the like will be stored in any survey or data management software after this research has concluded. All conversations and survey data will only be accessed by me (more information will be provided in a consent form if you are selected for the study). Participation at any step of this study is optional.

*Please comment with any questions below and I will do my best to answer them.
Post automatically merged:

If you started your survey a week ago, it has been de-activated. A Qualtrics over-sight on my part; an edit to 1 month inactivity has been pushed.

Please re-use: https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bgcRE8YZckdiBgN if you were in progress and let me know via Direct Messaging on Discord (NBG_Slumber#2062) if there is an issue.
Keep in mind, please be descriptive entails only 1-2 sentences.

Attachments

Last edited:

razes

Best answers
i play maplestory to meet hot egirls who will marry me in game and stroke my epeen, so far ive married none but maybe after a few more years and better nx clothes combinations ill be successful, ill find my xMisa or Angelx3, when that day comes i'll know it'll all be worth.

Slumber

Best answers
Bump. Reminder that this recruitment survey will close tomorrow night at 11:59pm Pacific Daylight Time.

Thank you.
Post automatically merged:

I will be sending out via discord (unless you provided an e-mail). the request for interviewing.

I have left the survey recruitment open for now, but new responses may be discarded. I'm a solo researcher for this project and reaching my bandwidth here.

After all initial interviews occur, a raffle will take place for the compensation.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)